When you start a new business it is a dream come true. Your dream can become a nightmare if you do not follow the small business laws precisely to the letter. The only way for you to be sure that you are following all of the small business laws is to contact local business lawyers and to retain their services. You will need a lawyer that has the knowledge of business and corporate law. Here we will give you a simple check list to search business lawyer’s credentials and hire your own.
• If you are doing your research online you should look at each business lawyers profile on their website.
• Does their website show any testimonials? Are any of the testimonials from companies like yours?
• Does their online profile mention that they specialize in business start up law?
• Does their site mention what type of businesses that they cater to?
• You should look up your local newspaper archives and see what has been said about the business lawyers that you are interested in.
• When you see their ads in the newspaper, website or yellow pages what do you feel? Does the ad mention how many years that they have been in business? Is it a family firm?
• You should contact the local bar association and see if there have been any claims filed against them. Are they in good standing with the local bar association?
• Talk to your friends and family, have they heard of any good business lawyers?
• You will need to make sure that the attorney you are interested in handles lawsuit and contract law. Some business lawyers only specialize on one or the other.
It is a good idea to contact a lawyer that is a full service lawyer as when your company grows you will not have to hire a new attorney because your existing one will have the knowledge you need for your business expansion. You should check with your local chamber of commerce to see if your attorney is a member. There are so many different business facets that you will need to familiarize yourself with such as, if you have employees you will need workers comp insurance and FEIN number, a business license. Will you need to file a fictitious name? Will your company register as a sole proprietorship? Finding good qualified business lawyers is not always easy but it is possible if you follow the checklist above.