There are a lot of aspects in business that need to be processed with legality. Corporate transactions should always follow legal processes to avoid conflicts between and among individuals involved – finances, contracts, real estates, etc. That said, corporate lawyers therefore play an important role and this is the reason why business entities not just seek advice from business lawyers outside but they hire them as permanent members and function as part of their legal counsel. Business lawyers work to settle various corporate issues, including the following:
- Compensation issues – a corporate lawyer can settle compensation-related issues between employer and employees; he sees to it that a business entity does not violate the law governing compensation/benefits for its employees and at the same time he also ensures that these benefits are not abused, which can be ‘fatal’ to the business itself when not addressed appropriately.
- Business formation – starting a business involves many legal processes, including securing business permit, leasing and other real estate contract, establishing a concrete company policy, etc. – a corporate lawyer can help so that all of these are on the right track.
- Shareholder agreement – also known as stockholders’ agreement (in the US), this needs to be managed by a lawyer who is expert in corporate and business law as this involves complexities of legality and finances. Other issues settled by corporate lawyers are dispute resolution by arbitration, constitutional documents, mechanism for removing minority shareholders, etc.
- Corporate financing – this involves dealing with monetary decisions, analysis of corporate acquisition, financial operation of a company that includes raising money for a variety of projects or business ventures. As complex as it is, a corporate lawyer can play an important role to take part of all the legalities involved in all of financial transactions a business undertakes.
- Regulatory compliance – a corporate lawyer can also take part for the fulfillment of business compliance in accordance to the prevailing rules and regulations mandated by law. This helps a company performs its business without any conflict with the existing policies established by the government, which could cause some problems in the future such as criminal or civil penalties – when the governing policies are not fulfilled.
- Commercial litigation – this is perhaps one of the biggest responsibilities that a corporate lawyer can have on his shoulder; this involves settling legal controversies and business issues. Some of issues handled by a corporate lawyer under commercial litigation are breaches of contract, class actions, employment disputes, business dissolution, breach of fiduciary duty, debt collection – among others.
Corporate and Business Law
Last Updated on September 13, 2021